Our Guide to Victoria, Vancouver Island and BC
We’ve put together the most comprehensive travelers’ guide to Victoria BC, which is the best source of information on where to have fun, pick up essentials, and mingle with the locals.
Directions from Ocean Island Inn to Ocean Island Suites
Before heading to the Suites, all guests must check-in, pick up keys, etc at Ocean Island Inn. For directions to Ocean Island Inn from the airport, ferry terminal and more, please see the Directions and Contact page. If you do not have a vehicle, we will provide you with a complimentary taxi ride from Ocean Island Inn to Ocean Island Suites. If you are driving, please click here for driving directions from the Inn to the Suites.
Shops and Services Near the Ocean Island Suites
We’ve compiled a list of shops and services in the local area to help you along in your stay. These are all only a short walk away from the Suites.
For all your basic needs, try James Bay Square. They’ll likely have just about anything you’re looking for. Located just about 500 meters away from the Suites, simply head north towards town on Government St, turn left at Simcoe St and continue on for 4 blocks. If you’re driving you’ll have to pass Simcoe and turn left on Toronto St. since Simcoe is One-Way. Niagara Foods, the nearest convenience store, is located only 1 block away. Also don’t forget that the services at Ocean Island Inn | Backpackers | Suites is available to you as well!
Banks & Bank Machines
- Bank of Montréal & ATM – 230 Menzies St., in James Bay Square. 389-2441.
- CIBC ATM – 265 Menzies St., in Mac’s Convenience Store. 382-0912.
- Coast Capital Savings Bank & ATM – 239 Menzies St. 483-7000.
- Ogden Point Cafe – 199 Dallas Road, at Ogden Point. 386-8080.
- Cup of Joe Café – #1-230 Menzies Street. 380-2563.
- James Bay Coffee & Books – 143 Menzies St. 386-4700.
- Starbucks – 425 Simcoe St., in James Bay Square. 361-4884.
- Shoal Point Moka House – #110-19 Dallas Rd., at Fisherman’s Wharf. 298-8452
- Don’s Food Market – 99 Menzies St. 386-1915.
- Mac’s Convenience Store – 265 Menzies St. 382-0912.
- Niagara Grocery – 579 Niagara St. 383-1223.
- James Bay Coffee & Books, The Bent Mast, Heron Rock Bistro and The Superior often have live evening performances of one kind or another. Give them a call to find out about their upcoming events!
- James Bay Esso Station – 308 Menzies St. 383-3612. This station also has an in-house auto mechanic.
- Thrifty Foods – 475 Simcoe St., in James Bay Square.
- James Bay Farmer’s Market – Saturday 9am – 3pm (May – Oct) – corner of Menzies and Superior streets.
Health & Drug Stores
- James Bay Pharmasave – #113-230 Menzies St. 383-7196.
- BC Government Liquor Store – #22-230 Menzies St., in James Bay Square. 356-2883.
- Spinnakers at James Bay – 425 Simcoe Street. 590-3515
Pubs & Restaurants
- Barb’s Place Fish & Chips – Fisherman’s Wharf. 384-6515. Open March – October
- Beacon Drive In – 126 Douglas St. 385-7521.
- The Bent Mast – 512 Simcoe St. 383-6000.
- Blue Crab Bar & Grill – 146 Kingston St., in the Coast Harbourside Hotel and Marina. 480-1999.
- Colonial Café – 270 Government St., in the James Bay Inn. 1-800-836-2649 or 384-7151.
- James Bay Fish & Chips – 211 Menzies St. 383-5333.
- James Bay Pub – 270 Government St., in the James Bay Inn. 1-800-836-2649 or 384-7151.
- James Bay Tearoom & Restaurant – 332 Menzies St. 382-8282.
- Santiago’s Café – 660 Oswego St. 388-7376.
- Subway Sandwiches – 239 Menzies St. 480-7724.
- The Superior – 106 Superior St. 380.9515.
- Villages Pizza – 475 Simcoe St., inside Thrifty’s Foods in James Bay Square. 418-8889.
- Blue Bird Cabs Ltd. – 2612 Quadra St., 382-4235 or 1-800-665-7055; Airport Service: 384-1155
Other online guides
The Ocean Island Victoria Guide is our master guide to downtown Victoria, the beautiful surroundings, and awesome up-island adventures.
The Gay Yellow Pages is a directory of gay/bisexual/lesbian friendly businesses all over Canada and the states.