To meet the needs of our guests, we have transformed Ocean Island Inn into a safe haven for this difficult situation. These are some of the measures that we are taking:
- Eliminating all dormitory rooms, common areas and food and drink services, so that all guests are exclusively in private rooms and areas.
- 24 hour front desk ensuring all guests and staff are following Canadian government social distancing regulations.
- Implementing enhanced cleaning and sanitizing of our facility and linen as suggested by the health authorities.
- Screening our guests according to Canadian government regulations.
- Setting up private and isolated cooking facilities for guests, and providing inexpensive instant food.
- Installing hand sanitizer dispensers throughout the building.
- All rooms have fresh air coming in directly from outside, instead of from an internal mechanical ventilation system, and there are no carpets in the building.
Your responsibility as a guest:
- Stay 2 metres away from staff members.
- Stay 2 metres away from other guests where possible. If 2 metres is not possible, then at least 1 metre.
- Come to the front desk in person only when necessary to make a payment, check-in, check out, extend their stay, or purchase an item. At other times, call 250-385-1789 or Facebook Message the front desk.
- Wash your hands frequently, and use hand sanitizer in-between hand washing.
- Cough into facial tissue, or their sleeve if a facial tissue isn’t available.
- Any guest who doesn’t follow the basic safety guidelines will perhaps receive one warning, and then will be immediately checked out.
- Maximum five people in the common kitchen at one time. Wash your dishes with soap as well as the bleach solution before using them. We encourage guests to take dishes and cutlery they will be using frequently (but not pots and pans) to their room.
- Only registered guests are allowed into the building; no visitors of guests. We may make exceptions in special circumstances, check at the front desk.
We have put in place extensive safety procedures beyond the government recommendations, but we are not an ideal place to accommodate high risk guests who have symptoms of COVID-19 and need to isolate. Because of this:
If anyone is returning from outside of Canada, they should not stay with us until they have been in Canada for 14 days and don’t have any symptoms of COVID-19. Ocean Island staff will check passports to ensure that all non-Canadians have been in Canada for 14 days.
Anyone that experiences any symptoms related to COVID-19, such as a sore throat, fever or cough should not stay with us.
We don’t recommend guests who are at high risk for COVID-19 staying with us: over 70 years old or with pre-existing conditions that put them at higher risk.