Front Desk Superstar & Bartender!
Looking to start (or further) your career in hospitality, gain experience in the tourism industry & train with one of the friendliest teams in Victoria?
Well it’s your lucky day! Ocean Island is seeking a Front Desk Superstar & Bartender/ Server who enjoys meeting and working with travellers from all over the world.
- Taking and changing room reservations via phone, email or in person.
- Processing guest arrivals and departures, calculating charges and receiving payments using our property management software.
- Providing information on our facilities and services and about points of interest in the area.
- Helping to resolve any guest complaints and concerns (as well as accepting lavish praise and compliments!).
- Providing excellent customer service.
- …and most importantly, providing a safe, friendly and fun environment for our global travellers.
- Prepare and serve drinks to customers and provide excellent customer service.
- Take food orders and bus tables.
- Enforce liquor laws with an iron fist (in a velvet glove).
- Be in charge of the bar as the only bartender.
- Maintain the atmosphere, choose the music.
- Supervise events and performers.
Qualifications & Qualities:
- Experience in the service industry essential; experience in the hostel/ hotel/ hospitality industry a plus, but not required.
- Multi-tasker, energetic and organized.
- Interest in learning about the backpacker/ hotel/ hospitality industry.
- A friendly but firm approach to dealing with people.
- Able to work with minimal supervision and be calm in a busy environment.
The Fine Print:
- This position is full time.
- Compensation starts at $11/hr, plus commissions and tips, which can be substantial. Opportunities for increases as you gain experience and take on other positions or responsibilities.
- Our staff enjoys great hospitality industry discounts and freebies in Victoria and the region and at traveler accommodation in North America.
- The shifts are typically 6:30am-2:30pm, 2pm-10pm, or 4:30pm-11:30pm.
- We are very flexible with time off, so you can do travelling of your own, go to school, or whatnot. We also offer extended vacation pay as part of increases.
- We offer medical benefits after one year of employment.
- Our staff grow with us and there are always opportunities to advance.
For more information about Ocean Island and what we do, check out www.oceanisland.com. Email your resume and cover letter (with the name of the position) to jobs[a]oceanisland.com. Also feel free to stop by and check us out- we’re at 791 Pandora Avenue.
Are you looking to do some casual work part time while you’re visiting Victoria to cover the costs of your stay and make some spending money? No matter where you’re coming from, you can work at Ocean Island: all you need is to be legally entitled to work in Canada (meaning you have a valid Social Insurance Number), and be able to speak basic English.
We have room for casual workers year-round. The jobs vary depending on our needs at the particular time, but include:
Housekeeping (cleaning rooms, bathrooms, common areas, doing laundry, etc);
- Painting and other minor maintenance work;
- Gardening (seasonal);
- Translation, and Internet research;
- Let us know of any other skills you possess – we might be able to use them!
The amount of work you do depends on the type of job you’re doing. Jobs vary from 20 to 35 hours per week, depending on the type of work, how much you want to work and how long you are staying. Our most typical position is 20 hours of housekeeping a week. Casual work can also lead to permanent positions in front desk, the kitchen, bar, etc.
Here’s what you get in exchange:
- Breakfast is included.
- A special discounted staff rate on accommodation in one of our dorms (we have men’s, women’s and co-ed)
- Money- wonderful stuff that can buy things.
- 25% staff discount on meals at our cafe and our other products, like flip flops.
- A fun work environment living and working with cool cats from around the world.
If you are interested in casual work at Ocean Island, contact us for more information. Or if you’re already in Victoria, stop by to check us out in person- we’re at 791 Pandora Avenue.