Front Desk Evening & Night Owl
Looking to launch (or further) your career in hospitality, gain experience in the tourism industry & train with one of the friendliest teams in Victoria?
Well it’s your lucky day! The fabulous and fantastic Ocean Island Inn is seeking a full time Evening and Overnight Front Desk Agent who enjoys meeting and working with travelers from all over the world.
- Usage of hotel management software including processing guest arrivals, departures and receiving payments – experience with RoomMaster or any other property management system an asset.
- Taking and changing room reservations via email, phone or in person.
- Resolving any guest complaints and concerns (as well as accepting lavish praise and compliments!).
- Providing information about our facilities and services as well as general information about points of interest in the area.
- Providing excellent customer service.
- Working in a casual (yet highly organized) environment with guests and staff from all walks of life and all over the world.
- Night Audit and cash handling.
- Liaising with our night cleaner and bartender.
- Occasional laundry duties.
…and most importantly, providing a safe, friendly and fun environment for our global travellers.
The Fine Print:
- The weekly shifts are usually two nights of 10:30pm to 6:30am and three evenings of 2:30pm to 10:45pm.
- The total hours are 40 per week.
- Compensation starts at $12/hr for night shifts and $11/hr for evening shifts. Benefits also available based on length of employment and performance.
- We’re flexible with time off, so you can do travelling of your own or whatnot.
- Hospitality industry discounts and freebies in Victoria and the region.
- Opportunities to work in other departments at Ocean Island.
- Our staff grow with us and there are always opportunities to advance.
Qualifications & Qualities:
- Some experience in the service industry essential; experience in the hostel/hotel/hospitality industry and night shift experience preferred.
- The ability to stay up all night!
- Friendly and welcoming.
- Calm, but firm when necessary.
- The ability to work and successfully problem solve without supervision overnight.
- Multi-tasker and organized.
Email your resume and cover letter (with the name of the position and why you’re right for the job!) to jobs[a]oceanisland.com. Feel free to stop by to check us out, we’re at 791 Pandora Avenue, but no paper resumes please.
Are you looking to do some casual work part time while you’re visiting Victoria to cover the costs of your stay and make some spending money? No matter where you’re coming from, you can work at Ocean Island: all you need is to be legally entitled to work in Canada (meaning you have a valid Social Insurance Number), and be able to speak basic English.
We have room for casual workers year-round. The jobs vary depending on our needs at the particular time, but include:
Housekeeping (cleaning rooms, bathrooms, common areas, doing laundry, etc);
- Painting and other minor maintenance work;
- Gardening (seasonal);
- Translation, and Internet research;
- Let us know of any other skills you possess – we might be able to use them!
The amount of work you do depends on the type of job you’re doing. Jobs vary from 20 to 35 hours per week, depending on the type of work, how much you want to work and how long you are staying. Our most typical position is 20 hours of housekeeping a week. Casual work can also lead to permanent positions in front desk, the kitchen, bar, etc.
Here’s what you get in exchange:
- Breakfast and dinner is included.
- A special discounted staff rate on accommodation in one of our dorms (we have men’s, women’s and co-ed)
- Money- wonderful stuff that can buy things.
- 25% staff discount on meals at our cafe and our other products, like flip flops.
- A fun work environment living and working with cool cats from around the world.
If you are interested in casual work at Ocean Island, contact us for more information. Or if you’re already in Victoria, stop by to check us out in person- we’re at 791 Pandora Avenue.