Bartender & Lounge Guru
“Ocean Island is more than a hostel, it’s an experience–an experience akin to being kidnapped by 100 of your closest friends… Full of life and art … both the young and the young at heart will feel right at home”. – Lonely Planet British Columbia.
Ocean Island Lounge is looking for an upbeat soul who enjoys meeting and working with travellers from around the world.
- Serve up drinks and good times to our global travellers.
- Being in charge as the only bartender on shift in our cozy backpacker lounge.
- Selecting music and creating a relaxed and fun lounge atmosphere.
- Work with our management team to help us realise our vision for the lounge.
Qualifications & Qualities:
- Bar experience.
- Ability to create an inviting ambiance.
- Travel experience a plus.
- Positive, energetic and enjoys multitasking.
- Ability to give great customer service while controlling the bar and enforcing liquor laws.
The Fine Print:
- Compensation is above industry standard, plus tips.
- The shifts are approximately 4:30pm-11:30pm, full time guaranteed.
- We are very flexible with scheduling and time off, so you can do travelling of your own, go to school, or whatnot. Extended paid vacation time is an option.
- Medical benefits also available.
- Our staff grow with us and there are always opportunities to advance.
Please email your resume (with the name of the position) and a cover letter to jobs[a]oceanisland.com.
The most fun you can have cleaning!
Ocean Island Inn is seeking a full-time housekeeper.
“Ocean Island is more than a hostel, it’s an experience – an experience akin to being kidnapped by 100 of your closest friends…” – Lonely Planet 8th Edition
- Working with our team of convivial international housekeepers.
- Maintaining Ocean Island Inn’s high standard of cleanliness throughout our facility.
- Helping to provide a clean, friendly and inviting environment for our global travelers to relax and feel at home in.
- There are opportunities to train and gain experience in other departments as well as take on more responsibility in housekeeping.
Qualifications & Qualities:
- Enjoy cleaning and working in a fast paced environment.
- Housekeeping experience in a hotel other accommodation business.
- Positive attitude.
- Energetic, with an eye for detail.
The Fine Print:
- Compensation starts at $14/hr.
- The shifts are typically 9am-5:30pm, but can also be earlier or later in the day.
- We are flexible with time off, so you can travel or whatnot.
- Hospitality industry discounts, and freebies in Victoria and the region.
- No uniforms or dress code.
- Get discounts and freebies at our Lounge.
- Our staff grows with us and there are always opportunities to advance.
Email your resume (with the name of the position) to jobs[a]oceanisland.com. Also feel free to drop by and check us out- we’re at 791 Pandora Avenue. If you come by 10am to 5pm, a manager might be available to speak to you.
Work For Stay!
Enjoy the best of the city and country! Relax in our friendly and modern backpackers. Tour our historic city that’s got everything you need in a compact center- Chinatown, nightlife, museums, cafes, shops, etc. Access to ocean beaches, fantastic forests, lakes, rivers and mountains is minutes away by walking, bikes and public transportation.
The backpackers is located in a fully renovated 1891 heritage building close to all the action of the city as well as wonderful parks the beach and hiking trails. We are a family-owned business with approximately 30 employees, and our mission is to provide a friendly and welcoming home away from home to a wide variety of travelers from around the world.
“Ocean Island is more than a hostel, it’s an experience – an experience akin to being kidnapped by 100 of your closest friends…This funky, multicolored sleepover is a labyrinth of small dorms and private rooms…. There’s a large communal kitchen on the ground floor and a licensed lounge for breakfast, quiz nights and live music.”
Lonely Planet 12th Edition.
If you’re interested in our casual workers program, we have room year-round. The jobs vary depending on our needs at the particular time, but include:
- Housekeeping (cleaning rooms, bathrooms, common areas, laundry, etc)
- Painting and other minor maintenance work;
- Gardening (seasonal);
- Translation, and Internet research;
- Let us know of any other skills you possess – we might be able to use them!
Jobs vary from 20 to 40 hours per week, depending on the type of work, how much you want to work and how long you are staying. Our most typical position is 20 hours of housekeeping a week. We ask for a minimum commitment of three weeks. All you need is to be legally entitled to work in Canada (meaning you have a valid Social Insurance Number), and be able to speak basic English. Casual work can also lead to permanent positions in front desk, the kitchen, bar, etc.
Here’s what you get in exchange:
- A special discounted staff rate on accommodation in one of our dorms (we have men’s, women’s and co-ed), or possibly a private room (in the winter, depending on what type of work you’re doing and the length of your stay). Breakfast, dinner and a nightly cocktail are also included.
- After you have paid for your accommodation, you will get $60 a week spending money (for 20 hour a week jobs) or up to $280 a week if you work more hours.
- A fun work environment living and working with cool cats from around the world.
- To apply please email your resume and cover letter to hiring[a]oceanisland.com. Also feel free to stop by and check us out.
We look forward to meeting you!