Ocean Island Inn is seeking a part-time Cook to prepare delicious food for our world travelers.
“Ocean Island is more than a hostel, it’s an experience– an experience akin to being kidnapped by 100 of your closest friends… Full of life and art … both the young and the young at heart will feel right at home”. - Lonely Planet British Columbia.
- One 8 hour day per week, with more possible.
- Preparing and cooking food for our global travelers.
- Working on your own (but with our full support!) in our quiet kitchen.
- Being a part of our convivial international team.
Qualities & Qualifications:
- Enjoys working mostly independently.
- Cooking experience in a restaurant or food service outlet.
The Fine Print:
- Days and hours are flexible, we can work around your schedule.
- Shifts are roughly 9am-5:30pm.
- Enjoy a free meal every shift and a free drink from our bar every night.
- Our staff enjoys hospitality industry discounts and freebies in Victoria and the region.
Email your resume (with the name of the position) to jobs[a]oceanisland.com. And feel free to drop by and check us out, we’re at 791 Pandora Avenue.
Ocean Island is seeking housekeepers!
“Ocean Island is more than a hostel, it's an experience - an experience akin to being kidnapped by 100 of your closest friends..." - Lonely Planet 8th Edition
- Working with our team of convivial international housekeepers.
- Maintaining Ocean Island Inn’s high standard of cleanliness throughout our facility.
- Helping to provide a clean, friendly and inviting environment for our global travelers to relax and feel at home in.
- Opportunities to take on other responsibilities
Qualifications & Qualities:
- Housekeeping experience an asset and you need to enjoy cleaning and working in a fast paced environment.
- Interested in learning light maintenance and painting.
- Can work unsupervised, self-motivated.
- Ability to lift and carry moderately heavy items.
The Fine Print:
- Full-time daytime and evening shifts. Serving shifts are 7 hours a week at $14 an hour. Housekeeping shifts are 35 hours a week at $15 an hour.
- Can include benefits such as extended paid vacation.
- We are very flexible with time off, so you can do travelling of your own, go to school, or whatnot, even in the summer.
- Our staff enjoys great hospitality industry discounts and freebies in Victoria.
- Our staff grow with us and there are always opportunities to advance!
- We can help with work visas and Permanent Residency.
For more information about Ocean Island, check out www.oceanisland.com. Email your resume and cover letter to jobs[a]oceanisland.com. Also feel free to stop by and check us out.
Work For Stay
Enjoy the best of the city and country! Relax in our friendly and modern backpackers. Tour our historic city that’s got everything you need in a compact center- Chinatown, nightlife, museums, cafes, shops, etc. Access to ocean beaches, fantastic forests, lakes, rivers and mountains is minutes away by walking, bikes and public transportation.
The backpackers is located in a fully renovated 1891 heritage building close to all the action of the city as well as wonderful parks the beach and hiking trails. We are a family-owned business with approximately 30 employees, and our mission is to provide a friendly and welcoming home away from home to a wide variety of travelers from around the world.
“Ocean Island is more than a hostel, it’s an experience – an experience akin to being kidnapped by 100 of your closest friends…This funky, multicolored sleepover is a labyrinth of small dorms and private rooms…. There’s a large communal kitchen on the ground floor and a licensed lounge for breakfast, quiz nights and live music.”
- Lonely Planet 12th Edition.
If you’re interested in our casual workers program, we have room year-round. The jobs vary depending on our needs at the particular time, but include:
- Housekeeping (cleaning rooms, bathrooms, common areas, laundry, etc)
- Painting and other minor maintenance work;
- Gardening (seasonal);
- Translation, and Internet research;
- Let us know of any other skills you possess – we might be able to use them!
The Fine Print
Jobs vary from 18 to 23 hours per week, depending on the type of work, how much you want to work and how long you are staying. Our most typical position is 20 hours of housekeeping a week. We ask for a minimum commitment of three weeks. All you need is to be legally entitled to work in Canada (meaning you have a valid Social Insurance Number), and be able to speak basic English. Casual work can also lead to permanent positions in front desk, the kitchen, bar, etc.
Here’s what you get in exchange:
- A special discounted staff rate on accommodation in one of our dorms (we have men’s, women’s and co-ed), or possibly a private room (in the winter, depending on what type of work you’re doing and the length of your stay). Breakfast, dinner and a nightly cocktail are also included.
- After you have paid for your accommodation, you will get $60 a week spending money (for 20 hour a week jobs) or up to $280 a week if you work more hours.
- A fun work environment living and working with cool cats from around the world.
How To Apply
To apply please email your resume and cover letter to hiring[a]oceanisland.com. Also feel free to stop by and check us out. We look forward to meeting you!